The Student News Site of Hazen High School

The Kilt

The Kilt

The Kilt

FIFTY FIFTY’s Fast Rise to Fame

If you’ve been on Tiktok, you have probably heard the song “Cupid – Twin Ver”.

“I’m feelin’ lonely (Lonely)

Oh, I wish I’d find a lover that could hold me (Hold me)

Now I’m crying in my room

So skeptical of love (Say what you say, but I want it more)

But still, I want it more, more, more”

Or the part

I gave a second chance to Cupid

But now I’m left here feelin’ stupid

Oh, the way he makes me feel that love isn’t real

Cupid is so dumb” 

FIFTY FIFTY’s song “Cupid” has taken TikTok by storm, with the audio having 1.4 million TikTok videos and the sped-up version having 5.7 million. 

FIFTY FIFTY has also broken K-pop records, becoming the fastest K-pop group to debut on Billboard’s Hot 100 after just four months. They are the only K-pop group on the chart at #19 and internationally, and they are #8 on Billboard Global 200, beating groups like IVE, NewJeans, and even big-name groups like Blackpink and BTS. On Spotify, Fifty Fifty has over 30.6 million monthly listeners, surpassing BLACKPINK with 24.5 million.

It all started at ATTRAKT Creative, FIFTY FIFTY’S company, which was created by Warner Brothers Korea on November 18, 2022, with the members Saena, Keena, Sio, and Aran. Even though “Cupid” is their most popular song, they debuted with the album THE FIFTY, which features four songs.” Tell Me”, “Lovin’ Me,” “Higher,” and “Log in.” THE FIFTY had over 4,000 album sales in Korea compared to The Beginnings: Cupid, which had over 28,000 album sales in Korea. They also made its way to the US where it sells at everyday stores like Walmart, Target, and Barnes & Noble.

Having a big hit like “Cupid” has given FIFTY FIFTY many opportunities including guest appearances at the Jamsil Baseball Stadium for the LG Twins Baseball team in Seoul and a Lucky Draw pop-up with Everline Shop in Korea.

Even though “Cupid” is their most popular song, FIFTY FIFTY’s favorite and second most popular song is “Lovin’ me”, a song that people relate to and love. This song is about a girl who expressed her inner feelings and got hurt, but rather story ending with her getting hurt, it ends with her saying she’ll raise her head and shine out.

As mentioned, the label that owns FIFTY FIFTY is ATTRAKT, founded June 17, 2021, are a private and independent record label with the current distributor of FIFTY FIFTY’s music being Warner Music Korea. The CEO of ATTRAKT is Jeon HongJun, who has made a lot of sacrifices for FIFTY FIFTY, he has stated in an interview that after FIFTY FIFTY’S debut album he had to sell his car to cover the production cost. Jeon HongJun did not think of Billboard as a possibility, because they had no money for global marketing, so he went to multiple label companies showing them their music. Thankfully Jeon HongJun’s efforts were not in vain; FIFTY FIFTY had a fast rise to fame and is a Tiktok sensation.

FIFTY FIFTY is still rising through the charts and might end up just like BLACKPINK and BTS, becoming mainstream and moving more into the western world. FIFTY FIFTY is also an example that groups don’t need a well-known company to succeed in the industry of K-pop like BTS and BLACKPINK. This four-member group is on its way to take over the industry, and everyone’s hearts.

STREAM CUPID