Boy’s Soccer Senior Night

Boys Soccer Senior Night

We celebrated our Hazen Soccer Seniors on April 21 with a thrilling game against Liberty High School which ended in a 1-1 tie. Throughout the season, there were many exciting moments shared not only within the team but with the rest of their supporters. We interviewed the Senior soccer players to learn about their team experience. 

Captain Hamza Zayan, said, “I joined the team to have fun with my high school friends.” Hamza has been playing soccer for approximately 11 years now, he decided to join Hazen’s soccer team during his Freshman year, but because of the COVID-19 pandemic, he officially joined the team during his sophomore year. Wolf Pfaeffle, another captain, decided to join the Hazen soccer team to “learn the game from older and more experienced players and to enjoy sharing the field with friends from school.” Wolf joined the team Sophomore year since his Freshman year got cut short because of the COVID-19 pandemic as well, he’s played on varsity all three years as a defender and his favorite memory was making the state tournament as an all-league outside back. Cameron Sianson decided to join the team because “it was my last year playing soccer and I wanted to enjoy it while I still could.” He’s been playing soccer for eight years and plays outside back defense. His favorite memory with the team was playing his first varsity game.

Noah Kem decided to join the team his Freshman year before COVID-19 had other plans. Noah said “I have been playing soccer my whole life” so it was a no-brainer he was going to play in high school as center-mid. Enzo Galiano has been playing soccer since he was four years old so he decided to play for Hazen as center mid sophomore year since yet again the COVID-19 pandemic cut Freshman year short. Quinn Gifford said “Soccer has been a sport I’ve been playing my whole life and I’m very passionate about it” hence why he decided to join sophomore year. Quinn’s position is a midfielder and his most cherishable memory was “sophomore year I was on JV and lost every single game but we just goofed around.”

Brandon Pieneda chose to join the team because “of the environment, the coaching, and friends that were also joining the team.” This was Brandon’s first season playing for Hazen as right-wing back. Brandon’s most cherished memory this year was Senior night since he was “able to have a blast with my friends and family.” Last and definitely not least is Eiza Van Doren. Eiza decided to join Hazen soccer during his Freshman year to be able to make new friends and to hang out with friends in general as well as to continue to play a sport he loved. Eiza has been playing soccer for about seven to eight years now and is a goalkeeper.

You were probably wondering why Hamza, Enzo, Eiza, and Noah’s most cherishable memory wasn’t added in. Well, these Seniors had a very exciting season last year (21-22). In their junior year, they won the KingCo championship against Mercer Island. To this day that remains a memory they will never forget and a memory they will cherish with their teammates. 

These Hazen Seniors had a very eventful season, with lots of hard work, stress, anger, happiness, and everything in between. Within all that, there were many amazing memories shared between each other and us. Congratulations to the Senior class of 2023.