The Student News Site of Hazen High School

The Kilt

The Kilt

The Kilt

NBA All-Star Weekend

The NBA All-Star Weekend is an annual exhibition basketball game featuring some of the best players in the NBA. It usually takes place in February during the NBA’s regular season and is a weekend-long event. It also includes various skill challenges, such as the Slam Dunk Contest, the Three-Point Contest, and a game showcasing the skills of the best players in the league. The All-Star Game itself features two teams, the Eastern Conference and the Western Conference, made up of the top players from each conference as voted by fans, coaches, and players. The format of the game has changed over the years but typically involves a high-scoring, fast-paced game where players showcase their skills and athleticism. Because the All-Star game isn’t super serious, it’s a way for the fans to get entertained and for the players to have a little break from the actual season. The All-Star Game is not only a chance for fans to see their favorite players compete against each other, but the event attracts a big audience every year and is known as the most exciting and entertaining part of the NBA year besides the finals. 

Overview of this year’s NBA All-Star Events:

Dunk Contest: The NBA All-Star Weekend Dunk Contest is a competition during the All-Star Weekend that showcases the abilities of some of the best dunkers in the NBA. The competition usually consists of four players who perform a series of dunks. A panel of judges then scores the dunks and the player with the highest score wins. The following people participated in the 2023 NBA All-Star Dunk Contest: Kenyon Martin Jr. (Houston Rockets), Trey Murphy III (New Orleans Pelicans), Jericho Sims (New York Knicks), and Mac McClung (Philadelphia 76ers). Despite some mind-blowing dunks from all the players, the winner of the 2023 Dunk Contest was Mac McClung. His performance included some crazy things like dunking over 2 people and doing a backward dunk while spinning. It was insane. Trey Murphy got second place. It was very close between the two.

3-point Contest: This event showcases the long-range shooting abilities of some of the best three-point shooters in the NBA. The competition usually consists of eight players who have to shoot 25 three-pointers from five different spots around the arc. Once again, a panel of judges scores the shots and the player with the highest score is the winner. The following people participated in the 2023 NBA All-star 3-pt Shooting Contest: Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers), Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics), Kevin Huerter (Sacramento Kings), Tyler Herro (Miami Heat), Tyrese Haliburton (Indiana Pacers), Buddy Hield (Indiana Pacers), Julius Randle (New York Knicks), and Lauri Markkanen (Utah Jazz). In a 3-man final round, Damian Lillard, Buddy Hield, and Tyrese Haliburton were left. Although it was a very close competition, Damian Lillard won it all and took home the 2023 3-point Contest trophy.

All-Star Game: The All-Star game is one of the most anticipated events during the entire All-Star weekend. The game features a unique format, where the players are selected through a combination of fan, player, and media voting. The starting lineup for each team is chosen by a variety of fan voting (50%), player voting (25%), and media voting (25%). The reserves (substitutes) are then chosen by the coaches of each conference. The game itself is played over four 12-minute quarters and the team with the most points at the end of the game is declared the winner. Every year, two captains choose their teams. This year’s captains were Giannis Antetokounmpo and Lebron James. Team Giannis contained Jaysum T., Lauri M., Donovan M., Ja M., Bam A., Damian L., DeMar D., Pascal S., Domantas S., Shai G-A., and Jrue H. Team Lebron contained Joel E., Nikola J., Kyrie I., Luka D., Jaylen B., Julius R., Paul G., Anthony E., Tyrese H., De’Aaron F., and Jaren J. JR. These two teams made up a good match and were also, in fact, the highest-scoring game in the last five years! In the end, Team Giannis outplayed Team Lebron and won 184-175. Jaysum T. dropped 55 points, 15 points more than the second-most-scoring player in that game. Overall, it sounded like this all-star game was one of the best in the past years with everything that had happened. Fun Fact: More than $750,000 was raised and donated to charity from the All-Star Game!

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Kilt

Your donation will support the student journalists of Hazen High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.