The Student News Site of Hazen High School

The Kilt

The Kilt

The Kilt

The Benefits of a 504 Plan

When I was in fifth grade I had a really difficult time focusing on my work and presenting in front of the class. I didn’t think this was anything unusual, because presenting in front of people is generally regarded as a nerve-wracking thing. If I had to present in front of the class, I would get so nervous that I would be nauseous and shaky. I constantly dreaded having to stand up and talk in front of my classmates. I had a teacher in fourth and fifth grade who made me feel like I was incapable of learning anything, and she was incredibly strict. She didn’t take into account that I needed more help than the other kids in my class. She would get mad and tell me “how disappointed” she was in me. My teacher reached out to my parents and said I wasn’t keeping up with my class work which notified my mom that I had a hard time comprehending what we were learning in class. My mom started looking into something called a 504 plan. 

A 504 plan is something for students who need a little extra help. They provide accommodations that can help with learning. The accommodations are there to help the student and make the student feel comfortable, like they can learn in the same environment as the rest of their class. The 504 plan was made to help students succeed in school, and to help them be the best they can. 

What are the steps toward getting a 504 plan? The student’s “disability” or “struggles” in the classroom needs to be documented. Accommodations are tailored to a student’s specific needs. After that, you need to reach out to the schools 504/IEP coordinator. Then you have to write a formal request letter, prepare for the evaluation process, and arrange a meeting with the school to make sure the plan is approved and set up. The process of getting a 504 plan is long, but when it really comes down to it, the most important thing is to make sure the student feels comfortable in their learning environment, is being heard, and is learning from a teaching style they can understand. The 504 plan is put in place to help students perform to the best of their abilities. 

A 504 plan does nothing but help the student. However, there is an unspoken stereotype attached to having a 504. There are many students who are not aware of how beneficial a 504 plan could be for them. Some students aren’t even aware of what a 504 plan is.         

When I first got my 504 plan, I felt embarrassed. No one else I knew had a 504. I thought I was just different, and I didn’t understand why people thought I was any less than them academically. I then moved into seventh and eighth grade, and I started to really appreciate the fact that my mom went through all of the trouble to get a 504 plan for me. I have always had really bad anxiety, and if I hadn’t had my 504 plan, I don’t think I would have passed my classes. 

When my mom told me she was thinking of getting me a 504, I would get mad because I didn’t understand why I needed one. I thought that if I had a 504 I would be labeled as “dumb” or looked down upon by my peers. As it turns out many of my friends now have 504 plans. It’s a relief to know that I wasn’t the only one who needed accommodations to help me learn. A 504 plan does not make you sound “dumb,” “weird,” or “different.” A 504 plan is put in place to help a student learn. 

If you are someone who has a hard time focusing in class, presenting in front of your peers, you might consider looking into a 504 plan. The accommodations set in place make it easier for you to work and succeed in a school environment. A 504 plan is not something to be ashamed of; it’s something to appreciate for helping people succeed. I was talking to my mom about my 504 plan recently and she mentioned that if she was able to have a 504 when she was in high school she would have had an easier time learning, because she has ADD (attention deficit disorder). If you are struggling in class, talk to a teacher, parent, or school counselor about it and see if a 504 is something that would help you succeed in school.