The Student News Site of Hazen High School

The Kilt

The Kilt

The Kilt

6 Feet Beneath The Moon

King Krule, the moniker of British singer-songwriter Archy Marshall, first emerged on the music scene in 2013 with his debut album, 6 Feet Beneath the Moon. At only 19 years old, Marshall’s unique blend of punk, jazz, and hip-hop immediately caught the attention of music critics and fans alike. The album’s raw, emotive lyrics and experimental production make it a standout work in Marshall’s discography and a cult classic in the alternative music genre.

The album’s title is a reference to Marshall’s towering height of 6 feet 2 inches and sets the tone for the album’s themes of loneliness, heartbreak, and self-doubt. Marshall’s deep, gravelly voice serves as the driving force behind each track, with his lyrics serving as a reflection on his experiences growing up in South London.

The album opens with Easy Easy, a scattered track that features a simple guitar riff and Marshall’s haunting vocals. The song sets the tone for the rest of the album, with Marshall reflecting on his struggles with depression and the difficulties of navigating the world as a young adult. The lyrics are raw and emotive, with lines like “And with your dead-end job/ that’s been eating away your life/ you feel a little inside/ the trouble and strife/ and now you spend your evenings/ searching for another life.” Not knowing if he is talking about himself or someone else; it reveals the vulnerability at the heart of Marshall’s songwriting.

Baby Blue is perhaps the standout track on the album, with its slow, jazzy groove and Marshall’s stream-of-consciousness lyrics. The song is a reflection on longing for connection and love, with Marshall singing, “Girl I could’ve been someone, to you

Would have painted the skies blue” The song’s chorus is particularly memorable, with Marshall echoing, “baby blue” and as it seems to be fading “baby blue” slowly reappears.

Border Line is another highlight on the album, with a more upbeat tempo than many of the other tracks. The song features a groovy bassline and infectious guitar riff, with Marshall’s vocals taking center stage. The lyrics are a reflection on Marshall’s tendency to push people away, with lines like “You know I tried so hard/ my feelings just can’t discard/ the way in which I fell into you heart was never what I once knew” capturing the frustration and sadness of loving someone who doesn’t feel the same.

The album’s most experimental track is “A Lizard State” with its frenzied instrumentation and chaotic vocals. The song’s disjointed structure perfectly captures the feeling of being lost and confused, with Marshall’s cryptic and poetic lyrics adding to the sense of disorientation. Lines like “But baby what am I to do/ I’ve given up on loving you/ I know it’s not nothing new.” It reveals the inner turmoil at the heart of Marshall’s songwriting.

Throughout the album, Marshall’s unique voice ties everything together, with his deep, gravelly tone perfectly capturing the album’s themes of loneliness and alienation. The album’s sound is a mix of punk, jazz, hip-hop, and even elements of dubstep. Marshall manages to blend these disparate genres and influences into a cohesive whole, with the album’s lo-fi production giving it a gritty, DIY feel that perfectly complements the music.

In many ways, “6 Feet Beneath the Moon” was a sign of good things to come.