The Student News Site of Hazen High School

The Kilt

The Kilt

The Kilt

Original Movie Songs

Key aspects that can make movies memorable are the interesting storylines, plot twists, character developments, and emotional ranges they bring. However, one thing that can make a movie instantly recognizable are the songs created for these films. Recently, there has been a rising interest in incorporating original music into mainstream movies. Recent examples include “Lift Me Up” by Rihanna from Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and also “I Ain’t Worried” by OneRepublic for Top Gun: Maverick. These are great recent examples of original songs in film, but what are some favorites amongst Hazen High Schoolers? That is what we decided to ask students across the school.

Zeke Mancol (10) & Mia Carbo (10) – “Hakuna Matata” (The Lion King)

The young lion cub, Simba, meets a meerkat named Timon and a warthog named Pumbaa after running away from home. Simba’s two new friends sing Hakuna Matata, teaching Simba the way of living with no stress through an upbeat song.

Grace Gardner (9) – “Hopelessly Devoted to You” (Grease)

Sandy Olsson is having a girl’s slumber party at her friend’s house after her crush, Danny Zuko, suppresses his feelings for her and ends up acting out on her. Though Danny was rude to Sandy she can’t suppress her feelings for him. 

Tracy Bui (10) & Rachel Kim (11)  – “I See the Light” (Tangled

Rapunzel and Eugene have finally made it to see the floating lights which has been Rapunzel’s dream since she was a kid. Finally seeing the floating lanterns made to commemorate her birthday, Rapunzel and Eugene share a tender moment realizing their new dream is with each other.

Lexie Shive (11) – “Part of Your World” (The Little Mermaid)

Through the lyrics of this song, Ariel voices out her dreams and desires of the outside world. Due to her father’s strict rules, she feels that she won’t be able to experience the outside world which she longs to see. Ariel saves artifacts she finds of the outside world in order to feel closer and more connected to the one place she cannot go.

Kenzie Galliano (10) – “In Summer” (Frozen)

In the movie Frozen, characters Anna and Kristoff are in search of Anna’s sister when they run into Olaf. A childhood snowman brought to life by Elsa. He expresses his joy for all things summer through a ballad, and though he is a snowman, he dreams of the day he will experience his first summer day.

Ariannah Ballesteros (10) & Emily Nguyen (9) – “How Far I’ll Go” (Moana

“How Far I’ll Go” is sung by the character Moana as she weighs whether she should listen to her passion for the ocean or be the chieftess and follow her parents’ expectations in leading the village. Eventually, she runs to the beach, answering the call of the ocean, and takes her first boat ride on the water.

Spencer Scappini (9) – “How Bad Can I Be?” (The Lorax)

The Once-ler tries to justify his capitalist and exploitative actions through this song. He cuts down a plethora of trees to expand his business but in the process he ends up destroying the entire habitat surrounding him, meaning the animals who lived there no longer have a home, and his business can no longer continue.

Preston Namba (12) – “You’re Welcome” (Moana)

In this song, we get to hear the charismatic Dwayne Johnson sing some musical notes, something we didn’t know we needed until we got it. This serves as his introduction to the story and highlights all the things Maui has done for mankind, but it also reveals some of his egoistic tendencies.

Solomon Syrubu (10) – “Married Life” (Up)

This heartwarming and heartbreaking song was played toward the beginning of the movie to showcase the happy life of Carl and Ellie Fredricksen. The song switches between instruments to match the different moments throughout their life, both happy and sad.

Kendra Mesceda (11) – “It’s On” (Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam)

This summer became heated because of a new camp across the lake from Camp Rock called Camp Star. The friction between the two camps builds up rapidly. In this song, each camp is fighting for who is the better camp. Soon the two camps come face to face and in natural Disney fashion, they break out into song.

Emely Arteaga (11) – “Let It Go” (Frozen)

With this song, Elsa is no longer afraid of keeping her true self hidden from the world. She’s going to express herself and live the way that she wants even if that comes at the cost of being alone. She later realizes the importance of family and connection, but this song is her first step in realizing who she is.

Nayelli Rodriguez (12) – “Un Poco Loco” (Coco)

In one of the lighter moments from Coco, Miguel has to sing in a contest to win tickets for the party that Ernesto De la Cruz is throwing for Dias de los Muertos. Miguel becomes nervous at first, but he’s able to gain his confidence and give a fun performance in what is his first big step into becoming a musician.

Joel Harris (12) – “Friends on the other side” (Princess and the Frog)

In one of the darkest scenes in Princess and the Frog, Prince Naveen makes a deal with Dr. Facilier which turns him into a frog. Here we see some of the ghosts and spirits which become the film’s antagonists in a colorful and inventive moment that has stellar 2D animation.

Ashley Ma (11) – “I’m Almost There” (Princess and the Frog)

The hard-working Tiana finally has enough money to buy a huge warehouse for her restaurant. After receiving her father’s gumbo pot, she starts to envision her future restaurant, singing about her dreams within arms reach of coming true with classic New Orleans jazz.

A.J. Baker (10) – “Sunflower” (Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse)

For Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse rapper Post Malone and singer Swae Lee join forces to make this global smash hit. The song has a chill and summery vibe to it and is used as a calming mechanism for Miles on various occasions. The song resonated with audiences as the only song from this list to be certified diamond by the RIAA for exceeding 10 million units sold.

Matthew Fuentes (11) – “Circle of Life” (Lion King)

“Circle Of Life” is the first scene and song at the beginning of the movie. As the song starts, we see many landscapes, habitats, and creatures living there, all as the sun is rising. Soon all the animals gather together in all their majesty at pride rock to celebrate Mufasa and Sarabi’s cub. Everyone cheers to the new heir to the throne as the singers belt out the lyrics capturing the glorious and powerful moment for the Animal Kingdom.

See any familiar movies and songs? Every student we asked smiled with joy when they were thinking of their favorite movie. Be sure to add your favorite original song and movie in the comments below. Go watch these movies, revisit and create new memories.

Out of the songs submitted by fellow Hazen High School students, which of them stood out to you?