The Student News Site of Hazen High School

The Kilt

The Kilt

The Kilt

Who Is Peso Pluma?

Peso Pluma is a rising star in the music industry. He is a singer and songwriter who has become quite recognizable. He is known for his unique style that combines different genres, such as Reggaeton, Corrido, and Latin pop. Peso Pluma, whose real name is Hassan Emilio Kabande Laija, was born on 1999 June 15, and raised in Zapopan in the state of Jalisco, Mexico.         As a child, he was interested in music and began singing at the age of 15. He began playing the guitar, learning from YouTube videos. His stage name Peso Pluma, which translates to featherweight, came from a conversation with Marco Antonio Barrera, a retired boxer who commented on his thin body.

How did he gain popularity?

Before fame, Peso Pluma was just a normal kid in Mexico growing up in Guadalajara. He had dreams of becoming a soccer star and would play in the C.D. Guadalajara FC Academy. He would play side by side with current player JJ Macias, but eventually chose a different path in creating music. He chose to shift his focus towards music since it was a powerful way for him to spread messages across the world, a very important of the music-making process for him. There is a song in his catalog that references this previous ambition of his. In the song “AMG,” the original meaning behind the song meant “Aqui Metiendo Goles,” which translates to Here Scoring Goals. He claimed that his best position in soccer was right-wing. Currently “AMG” is more recognizable as a reference to the Mercedes car brand. 

Peso Pluma first gained attention with his song “La Modelo,” which gained popularity and got over 600 million views on YouTube. His most streamed song right now is “Ella Baila Sola” which has gained a lot of traction on social media and has led it to reach the number 4 spot on the Billboard Hot 100. The song has gone so viral that he appeared on The Jimmy Fallon Show, which is his first U.S. TV debut. On Spotify, he has over 45 million monthly listeners. Two weeks ago he made a guest appearance at Coachella with Becky G, and they gave a great performance together which pleased fans.

His career and breakthrough

Peso Pluma always had a vision of being in the music field in some way either as a producer or music engineer. He was able to learn how to write songs by consistently practicing in a diary describing his emotions, which would also help him learn how to rhyme and improve his skill. In an article by Variety, he stated that  “I used to have a diary and my friends would make fun of me — because that’s considered ‘girly’ — but it worked for me.” During his high school years in Texas, he would learn how to speak English which was easier for him since he was around the mexcian american community, which would have a positive impact on him. His music influences came from influential artists like 21 Savage, Post Malone, Suicideboys, and Shoreline Mafia. In the same article by Variety, he discussed how “My taste and my music reflect that I grew up on both sides of the border.” This shows how his experiences and culture have shaped the way he creates art.

Music projects for the future

In a recent interview with Billboard, Peso Pluma revealed that he is currently in the process of making a brand-new record. He has been working on the project for over a year with the producing elements having been worked on consistently. He promised that the album will feature all Mexican music entirely spoken in Spanish which ties heavily into his culture. The album is apparently going to be released later this year in the summer with numerous singles apparently dropping before the release. The album is one of the most anticipated Latin releases of the year and is likely to perform well across the charts.