The Student News Site of Hazen High School

The Kilt

The Kilt

The Kilt

Siblings of Seniors

Having a sibling is one of the best relationships anyone could ever experience. If you’re the youngest sibling like I am, you get to experience the bittersweet feeling of your older siblings’ High School graduation. The way sibling relationships work is you are always incredibly close and alike, or maybe you went your whole childhood wanting to be closer and wanting to be best friends with your sibling. That was me… I went so long feeling like my siblings would never want to hang out with me. 

I am a freshman right now, and my siblings are seniors. When I came to Hazen I didn’t know what I was expecting with my friendships and relationships. However, the bond that has been created with my siblings is quite literally unbreakable. 

Do you think that having a sibling who was in the same school as you helped you adjust to high school?

“Yes, I think it did because my freshman year I didn’t know a ton of people and she helped me get more comfortable with the environment.” AJ Baker (10)

“It definitely helped me get to know the school faster and just be able to know my way around the school, especially missing my first year with covid.” Sara Penders (11)

Having an older sibling is like having a built-in role model. No matter, if your sibling is older or younger than you, watching them cross that stage and finally be able to move out and create their own lives aside from yours is one of the greatest and worst things you can feel. 

A lot of the time we are so focused on our own schooling and our own achievements that we are too oblivious to even acknowledge our own sibling’s accomplishments. 

How do you feel about your sibling graduating high school?

“I feel pretty sad that she’s leaving, but I’m happy she is going to college and going into her future” AJ Baker (10)

“I’m definitely sad and I’m going to miss her a lot, but I’m also really excited to watch her grow and see what life will bring her.” Sara Penders (11)

“I’m going to be sad that she’s not around, but I’m excited for her and her experiences in her new chapter of life.”  Sasha Marith (11) 

I remember when my siblings graduated from 8th grade it was a huge deal, and it was such an incredible thing for me to experience because I just remember thinking, “They finally did it, I’m next…” 

When you’re little you can’t really grasp the fact that someday the people you grew up with and the people who make up your home, are going to someday graduate high school and move out. Pick a path to go down, make everyone proud while all you can do is watch and wait till it’s your turn.

Throughout this article, we have learned that siblings are the biggest supporters. We are proud to watch and see the amazing person your sibling turns out to be. We love to see who our siblings will turn out to be. If you are lucky enough to experience watching your siblings graduate, take advantage of that and cherish every moment. 

How do you think you’re going to feel once your sibling is actually gone? 

“Happy that she can do her own thing in college with her journalism and her drama but it’s going to be sad. “I’m going to miss seeing her in the hallways and on track.” AJ Baker (10)