The Student News Site of Hazen High School

The Kilt

The Kilt

The Kilt

AAPI Artists

AAPI+Artists

Even though AAPI (Asian American Pacific Islander) month has just recently ended, let’s not forget the Asian and Pacific Islander artists and their accomplishments in the music world and industry. Here are 31 artists for each day of the month to experiment and learn about their music and achievements.

1) beabadoobe – “Glue Song”, ‘the perfect pair”, “Tired”, “Coffee”, “Cologne”

Beabadoobe was born in the Philippines and grew up in London, England. Beabadoobe’s first song was “Coffee”, and it currently “Coffee” has around 124 million listens on Spotify. Her most recent song and the one she is now known for is “Glue Song”, dedicated to her boyfriend Jacob Erland. Her first tour was the fake it flowers tour in 2021 for her album fake it flowers. She also was on tour with Taylor Swift from 3/24/23 to 4/29/23 for the Taylor Swift the Eras tour. 

2) Warren Hue – “candy choppa”, “omomo punk”, “I NEED U, IN THE SUMMERTIME”, “BOY OF THE YEAR”, “HANDSOME”

Warren Hue is an Indonesian rapper. He started his music career in 2018 on SoundCloud with this remix of Valee’s “Womp Womp.” In December 2020, he joined 88rising’s team being the 4th Indonesian artist to join the label. After joining 88rising, he was a part of the Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings: The Album where he was featured in three songs: “Lazy Suzan”, “Foolish”, “and Warriors.” He released his first album 2 years before in 2019 called SUGARTOWN. He also had his first world tour in 2022 called “boyoftheyeartour”

3) Hojean – “over 85”, “pick up your phone”, “you feel like”, “show me that you care”, “weekends”

Hojean is a Korean R&B/Soul and Pop artist from New York. He was one of the many artists that performed at the Head in  Clouds 2022 Pasadena lineup and were most recently at the 2023 New York Lineup. He had his first world tour on August 20 starting at Head in the Cloud and ending in Seattle. Hojean is still active in releasing singles, his most recent being “Destiny” which was released in May.

4) NIKI – “Lowkey”, “Every Summertime”, “High School in Jakarta”, “La La Lost You”, “I Like U”

NIKI is an Indonesian singer, she’s known for “Every Summertime” and “Lowkey”. “Every Summertime” is one of her more recent songs with 274 million listens on Spotify and “Lowkey” is her most popular with 322 million listens on Spotify. She started her music career at 15 and was the opening for Taylor Swift for the Red tour after winning a competition called Ride to Fame. Her debut album was Moonchild and her most recent album is Live at Wiltern. Her most recent tour was The Nicole North America & Asia Tour in 2022,  and she has an upcoming tour The Nicole World Tour this year. 

5) BIBI – “BIBI Vengeance”, “The Weekend”, “KAZINO”, “BAD SAD AND MAD”, “Best Lover” 

BIBI is a South Korean rap and RnB artist that used to release on SoundCloud until Yoon Mi-rae discovered her. Mi-rae put her on the show The Fan, a competition show kind of like American Idol where she placed 2nd. She then started her debut with the single “Binu”. She then releases her second EP and signs with 88rising and releases “the weekend” which peaked at 29 on the Mediabase. She started performing at the Head in the Clouds festival where she was a part of the 2021 and 2022 LA Sunday stage and toured with 88Rising to Head in the Cloud Jakarta and Manila.

6) keshi – “LIMBO”, “beside you”, “like i need u”, “2 soon”, “drunk”

Keshi is a Vietnamese American artist known for their falsetto voice and multi-instrumental talents. The name Keshi comes from his girlfriend’s grandparents; his real name is Casey but her grandparents pronounce it Keshi. He first started releasing singles and ep in 2017 starting with “over u”. Fast forwarding to 2018 he releases a hit single “2 soon”. He also released his first album named GABRIEL and most of his songs are about his relationship with his new fiance Mai. After GABRIEL was released, He announced his first world hour called  HELL/HEAVEN TOUR where he toured North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. After the tour ended his song LIMBO started trending on TikTok and he decided to do another world tour named HELL & BACK TOUR where he toured for 4 more months.

7) Laufey – “Let You Break My Heart Again”, “Valentine”, “Like the Movies”, “Best Friend”, “Falling Behind”

Laufey is an artist with many different genres under her belt such as jazz-pop, bedroom pop, R&B, and Bossa nova. Her family is from Guangzhou and her family has a history with music with her mother being a violinist and her grandfather being a violin educator, she says they are her inspiration and reason for her love of music. Her most popular song are “From the Stars” which is one of her most recent songs, and “let me break your heart” is her most listened to on Spotify. She began her music career in 2020 hitting number one on the charts of Icelandic radio. She has to perform under her belt with the London Jazz Festival and her collaboration with the  Philharmonia Orchestra.

8) Jhené Aiko – “Sativa”, “Stay Ready (What A Life)”, “While We’re Young”, “The Work”, “Bed Peace”
Jhené Aiko is an R&B artist known for “Sunshine” one of her more recent songs, and “Sativa” her most popular song with 340 million listens on Spotify. Jhené Aiko began her music career by providing her vocals on multiple occasions for B2K, she worked with artists such as Drake and Miguel. She is also known for her inspirational quote I would ‘sail’ myself rather than sell myself which she referenced in her album Sail Out. Jhené Aiko was the opening acted on the highly anticipated Life Is Good/Black Rage concert tour in 2012 and her first tour as the headlining was the Enter the Void Tour in 2014.

9) Joji – “SLOW DANCING IN THE DARK”, “Glimpse of Us”, “Sanctuary”, “YEAH RIGHT”, “world star money (interlude)”

Joji’s most popular songs are “Glimpse of Us” with 929 million listens and peaked at number 8 on Billboard’s top 100 on Spotify his most recent album Smithereens and “slow dancing in the Dark” with 1 billion listens. He was originally pink guy from his alter ego filthy Frank, a social media influencer for an example of what not to be, his music career started with pink guy in 2014 he then moved to the name Joji in 2018 and it’s been like that ever since. He has also performed on the Tonight Show starring Jimmy Falon, making his first TV debut. Joji has made a great impact on the internet and music industry from all he has done.

10) DPR LIVE – “Jasmine”, “Martini Blue”, “Text Me”, “Jam & Butterfly”, “KISS ME”

DPR LIVE is a South Korean Rapper and Singer. He created his own producing label with his friends called DPR which stands for Dream Perfect Regime. He had his first world tour in 2018 called CTYL TOUR where he toured North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific. His next world tour in 2022 was named THE REGIME WORLD TOUR which was a collabed tour with  DPR LIVE and DPR CREAM who are both under Dream Perfect Regime. They went to North America, UK/Europe, and Asia-Pacific. Additionally, he and DPR IAN have toured with Head in the Clouds in New York 2023 and LA 2019, 2021, 2023. He has also featured in many 88rising albums including the Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings: The Album.

Other Artist You Should Listen To

• Thuy – “chances”, ‘All Night Long”, “universe”, “figured u out’, “Girls like me don’t cry”
  • dhruv – “double take”, “Moonlight”, “airplane thoughts”, “vulnerable”, “grateful”
  • Luke Chiang – “Shouldn’t Be”, “Used to Me”, “May I Ask”, “Paragraphs”, “Home”
  • Raveena – “If Only”, “Close 2 U”, “Temptation”, “Honey”, “Sweet Time”
  • Rocco – “spin you round”, “Steal This Night”, “be careful with my heart”, “l-o-v-e”, “Clouds
  • FiFi Zhang – “So Beautiful So Lonely”, “Nobody”, “Replay”, “Travel Through the Milky Way”, “Moonshine”
  • H.E.R – “Could’ve Been”, “Slide”, “Focus”, “Every Kind Of Way”, “Come Through”
  • Japanese Breakfast – “Be Sweet”, “Boyish”, “Road Head”, “Paprika”, “Kokomo”, “IN”
  • Pavari – “Cloud 9”, “Angry”, “Electric Love”, “Godspeed”, “Home”
  • pH-1 – “Iffy”, “The Purge”, “Nerdy Love”, “Homebody”, “Cupid”
  • Jeff Bernat – “Call you mine”, “still”, “cruel”, “wrong about forever”, “changes”
  • MaSIWei –  “Crush On You”, “Amsterdam”, “Prince Charming”, “The World Is Yours”, ‘Bathtub”
  • Rich Brian – “edamame”, “Midsummer Madness”, “Gospel”, “Dat $tick”, “History”
  • Jackson Wang – “Blow”, “LMLY”, “100 Ways”, “Cruel”, “I Love You 3000 II”
  • DPR IAN – “No Blueberries”, “So Beautiful”, “Ballroom Extravaganza”, “Nerves”, “Scaredy Cat”
  • MILLI – “Mirror Mirror”, “17 นาที”, “พักก่อน, สุดปัง”, “Mind Games”, “รักนะเว้ย”
  • grentperez -” Cherry Wine”, “(Only) About Love – Demo”, “My Heart It Beats for You”, “Clementine”, “Absence of You”
  • IV of Spades – “Come Inside Of My Heart”, “Mundo”, “Dulo Ng Hangganan”, “Captivated”, “Ilaw Sa Daan”
  • Sammy Johnson – “Don’t Say Goodbye”, “Give Me All”, “Hey”, “Fall In Love”, “Sleepwalker”
  • Eyedress – ‘Jealous”, “Something About You”, “Romantic Lover”, “Cocaine Sunday”, “On Fye”
  • Zion.T – “No Make Up”, “Eat”, “Yanghwa BRDG”, “Complex”, “I Just Want To Stay With You”