The Student News Site of Hazen High School

The Kilt

The Kilt

The Kilt

Teen Jobs

If you’re anything like I was a year ago: lost, confused, and in search for a job, you might feel a little defeated with summer approaching. Sixteen is the age of new beginnings, especially in the realm of jobs and taking responsibility for your own finances. Job hunting is not easy at all. It might seem scary to think about all of the responsibility, time management, and sacrificing of free time that comes from working. Not to mention the consuming hours it takes to actually find a job that interests you. If you’re feeling overwhelmed like I was, do not fear! I am here to help you speed up the process of summer job hunting as a teenager. I have curated a list of perfect first jobs to help set you up for success. 

Ice Cream Shops:

Ice cream shops can be a great place to get some work experience along with customer service experience. Scooping ice cream can be a fun summer job and get you lots of tips with the hot days approaching. This job isn’t too physically demanding and requires little to no previous experience. Some ice cream shops around Hazen are:

-Frosty Barrell

-Coldstone

-Menchies

-La Michoacana

-Baskin Robbins 

Cafe/Barista:

Working as a barista is a super awesome kickstart for new workers. You can make plenty of tips and even get familiar with customer service and problem-solving. This job requires a bit more training but with a few shifts, you will be able to get the hang of customer flow. Some cafes nearby are:

-Refuel Cafe

-Boon Boona

-Starbucks 

Lifeguard:

Becoming a lifeguard is a very fun and relaxing summer job for teens. Lifeguarding jobs tend to have flexible hours and are a fun way to get outdoors during the hot summer months. While becoming a lifeguard does require a bit more training, you will find yourself having overall better communication and problem-solving skills. Some pools and aquatic centers nearby include:

-Henry Moses Aquatic Center

-Newport Hills Swim and Tennis Club

-YMCA

Sports Camp Counselor:

Being a sports camp counselor is a very rewarding seasonal job. If you are good with kids and tend to enjoy keeping yourself busy, being a camp counselor may be perfect for you. This position shouldn’t require too much training however, you may need some past athletic experience. Some sports camps nearby are:

-Skyhawks Sports Academy

-Pick 6 Sports

-i9 Sports

-Arena Sports

Searching for summer jobs takes a lot of patience and time. Job applications are a long and tedious process. I hope this helps narrow down some options for your new opportunities!