The Student News Site of Hazen High School

The Kilt

The Kilt

The Kilt

Teachers in Sports

Do we really know the experiences that made them who they are? We see our teachers every day, sometimes we don’t get to know them on a personal level, especially since trimesters are much shorter than a semester. The lives of our teachers, past and present, are rich in achievement, strength, and determination. Here’s a look at some of our Hazen teachers in Sports!

Heather Zucker: 11th grade Language Arts and AP English Language and Composition

“Once a runner, always a runner”

Though she originally started out playing soccer, after encouragement from a PE coach, Mrs. Zucker fell in love with Cross Country and Track. She ran all 4 years at Nathan Hale High School. After impressive speeds and records, she ended up attending Pomona College, where she competed in NCAA Div. III Cross Country and Track as well. She was a strong distance runner and achieved many recognitions and records during her time running, and she continues running to this day. She still likes to complete about 2 half-marathons (13, not 26 miles) and a few 5K’s over a year’s time, her most recent being the Lake Washington Half Marathon in November of 2022.

Ryann Storer: 10th and 12th grade Language Arts

“I was a horse-crazy little kid. […] Horses for me have been a healing, joyful, and unique presence in my life.”

Many know Ms. Storer for her work running the underground Hazen equestrian team. However, many are still surprised to know she continues to compete and win with her horse, Smoke. Since she was little, Storer has competed in a variety of different events from Western and English style riding to Trail style (obstacle course), but her favorite remains Horsemanship (skills). She competed throughout her childhood, and though it was difficult with school, she ended up receiving a scholarship to NCAA Div. I Women’s Equestrian Team at Texas Christian University. She’s earned 8 World Championships and 4 Reserve World Championships before turning 18, and recent National Championships the last two summers. Ms. Storer continues to compete and has gained more than just glory and wins, she’s gained a bond with animals in sports that is not often seen and continues to pursue her passion along with her love for teaching.

Shannon Rance: Special Education 

#2 ALL-TIME WSU SHOTPUT WOMENS THROWER (51.1)

Ms. Rance has been involved in sports her entire life. She began in soccer, ballet, tap, basketball, volleyball, softball, and bowling, in high school. She decided to focus on soccer (4 years), basketball (3 years), and track & field (4 years) after a torn ACL prevented her from softball. Being a 3X state champ and national winner, Rance holds many field records at Renton High School, and also at Washington State University. Competing in shot put, discus, and hammer, freshman records still are left unbroken there. She placed 7th at Pac-12 and was a National Qualifier. She says, however, she prefers discus overshot due to its finesse. She continues to coach for high school teams and is a coach for the basketball and track teams here at Hazen.

Dylan Knight: Language Arts

“It was cool to see something that you built, a DIY, ‘rough around the edges’ group grow. It was beautiful.”

After transferring over to San Jose State, Mx. Knight soon discovered Quidditch, a Harry Potter-based game that was created into life and played competitively. Mx. Knight played the position of beater. Mx. Knight was even able to play after graduating before it was officially declared a club sport. In comparison to the game in the books, quidditch in real life is played on PVC pipes, as the ability to make them fly hasn’t occurred yet. It’s a cross between basketball or rugby, dodgeball and tag. A volleyball is used as a quaffle, dodgeballs are used as bludgers, and a neutral player for the snitch (which equals 30 not 150 points like in the book). It’s a fast-paced game with tackling allowed. It’s not only co-ed but made to be fully inclusive, as there’s even a rule that there cannot be more than 4 people of a dominant gender, making it fairer for all. Mx. Knight reminisces about going to nationals once. After they had placed 18th at regionals, two teams dropped (needed to be 16th to qualify) and they were able to cheer for their team in support. They said that Quidditch had a very supportive and inviting community and still is friends with many former teammates.

As you can see, teachers at Hazen have played a wide variety of sports. Some are not as common, and some you may have heard of for the first time. Though there are many more teachers at Hazen with interesting stories of their sports, this is the first of a few. These teachers’s hidden talents of such incredible feats of achievements in their sports are inspiring and we can only hope to follow in their footsteps to achieve success and experience as they have.