The Student News Site of Hazen High School

The Kilt

The Kilt

The Kilt

Time Management of Student Athletes

What is the limit that we can push ourselves? What is necessary for us to be responsible, but also functionable? What must we sacrifice to make time for family and work?

Time management is a crucial life skill for students that helps organize time for all of one’s responsibilities. Student athletes especially suffer the consequences from ill time management. Sometimes there’s simply too much to do and not enough time in the day. Is it easier to sacrifice sleep, leaving you with no energy to battle through the next day’s obstacles? With a whole school day in the morning, taking up 6 hours, and 3 hours after school, sometimes even more with games, including travel and bonding – that easily removes 11 hours of your day  – not including time for homework, studying, family, and more. 

Junior, Tiana Flores, sleeps for 5-6 hours a day. “I get no sleep. I can get off with 4-5 hours of sleep but it’s not sustainable. Also, I have no free time. I work Saturdays, so only Sunday is free because I don’t have practice, work, or homework.” Flores (11). She has a job, running start classes, an AP class, and volleyball practice everyday. Lots of people choose running start for its accessibility and ease. Flores chose running start because “it works very well financially. I’m a supporter in my household, so work was very important. Volleyball needed to accommodate my schedule, it needed to work around my work schedule.” Flores (11) Sometimes people have to make a choice between their responsibilities and sports, but as Flores said, if you can accommodate for your schedule and are efficient with your time, it’s possible. Student athletes have to honor their commitment to their team, but they also have to help their families and prioritize work responsibilities as well. Sometimes managing all these different things can be difficult, but Flores talks about how she keeps her hefty schedule controlled. 

“Motivation. I know exactly what I want to be in the future. Drive. I use my available opportunities in preparation for the future, not just for me, but for my family.” Flores (11)

Sometimes it’s hard to remember the reasons why you chose to do certain things, but it’s so important to remember not just your goals, but also what got you started in the first place. 

You could simply cut one aspect of your life that was too time-consuming, but sports aren’t always meant to just compete and get better at a certain skill. Sports can also be used as an outlet to decompress from a long day and a way to build new relationships. “Volleyball is a big release for me. Letting out things in a healthy way, the stress I have built up, and talking to people that are like my second family.” Flores (11)

There is no easy way to handle your time efficiently. 

Wake, Family, AP, TA/College, Dinner prep, Volleyball, Homework, Work, Study. Repeat. 

7:45 am – 2 am. 

The impact sports hold overweigh many other responsibilities people make. Though you need to stay accountable for all your obligations, people choose sports because they usually have an environment where they are motivated to do “hard things” and be surrounded by a positive environment. At that point, it doesn’t feel like another task to do, but a way to help get through the day and start again tomorrow. Sports balance out any other anxieties and stress you have in your day  – in a way, sports act as your downtime.

Flores said, “Sports teach us discipline, my actions affect more than myself. It’s a team effort and it contributes to my academics in school. Repercussions are serious, so I had to learn self-respect.” Flores (11)

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Kilt

Your donation will support the student journalists of Hazen High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.