The Student News Site of Hazen High School

The Kilt

The Kilt

The Kilt

Gurren Lagann anniversary

Gurren Lagann is an anime many people may have heard of but have not watched. Either because it’s far back on their list, they never felt like it was worth its time, or they are not a big fan of Mecha. But this anime is much more than just a Mecha and is worth the watch and now is the perfect time to watch it. Gurren Lagann was created by Gainax This name is familiar to some anime fans because of the other things they have produced like the Neon Genesis Evangelion series and movie, the first Fooly Cooly series, and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. These are among the most notable things they have produced but are different from what is being talked about in this article. We are talking about one of the hidden gems they produced, Gurren Lagann, and its 15th anniversary. 

The anime Gurren Lagann is set in the distant future. Mankind has lived quietly and restlessly underground for hundreds of years, subject to “earthquakes” and cave-ins. Living in one such of these villages are 2 young men: One named Simon who is shy and naïve, and the other named Kamina who believes in the existence of a “surface” world above their heads. They plan to shoot for the skies above and get to the surface to live life freely. 

Now, what makes this anime so good is its compelling storyline, well-developed characters, and unique Mecha designs. The series also explores themes of determination, courage, and the power of the human spirit. The series isn’t afraid to look at negative issues either, as it explores themes of depression, guilt, rage, arrogance, and many more, which resonate with many viewers. The characters can always find hope somewhere and fight for a brighter future, which has had a very strong impact on people.

The reason why its 15-anniversary rerelease movie is so big is that Gurren Lagann hasn’t seen much new content since it first released its movie in 2009. After fifteen years, the movie is being rereleased, with the first release of the English dubs, which was not released with the original movie. The original voice actors for the dub have returned to reprise their roles and give their voices to the characters.

If this is the first time you are hearing about the series Gurren Lagann and you don’t want to see the movie before the anime, it’s okay because the movie is a retelling of the anime but brought to movie standards. For example, some scenes have been updated and given better animation or they have completely changed a scene to make it more epic than the original but it’s more or less the same plot as the original so you can see the movie before the anime without a worry in the world. The movie should be out online on Crunchyroll if you have an account you should check it out.