The Student News Site of Hazen High School

The Kilt

The Kilt

The Kilt

Chicken Shop Dates and Celebrity Interviews

Fans need a way to feel they are real, to be friends with them, to be with them.

The mania of celebrity attachment has existed as long as modern human social order in one way or another. Every modernization of media has allowed obsessed fans to get a deeper look into the guarded and enigmatic personal lives of celebrities. From the emergence of paparazzi in the early 1950s to modern sites like TMZ, people have constantly worked to investigate and understand the people of Hollywood on a personal level. Posed red-carpet photos and traditional interviews discussing actors’ and musicians’ work are not enough to fill the craving of the fans.
The incredible plethora of social media and media forms that exist today have allowed fans to encroach closer and closer to truly knowing the lives of these celebrities, but there is one key aspect still missing, something the fans care most about. The emergence of Instagram allowed celebrities to promote their day-to-day lives in more detail than ever before. YouTube videos introduced a consistent stream of celebrity interviews, and tours of their homes with Architectural Digest, “Day in the Life,” and “50 Questions with Vogue,” more in-depth and real celebrity content than ever before. While these new forms of interview further entranced audiences into celebrity lives, they also made the traditional press tour question-and-answer style videos mundane and generic.
Actually learning about the complexities, experiences, and motivations behind their work and their art is no longer a priority of media consumers and fans. With one simple internet search, one can gather all the information they need to know about the creation of a movie, TV show, or album. Getting to truly know a celebrity is much more difficult. The one thing people truly want to know, the thing that drives much of celebrity fandom is what has been the one thing constantly out of reach from obsessed fans. To date them.
The mysterious and dream-like wonder celebrities have always been idolized as the ideal significant other, not to mention their attractiveness, and therein lies the exact niche of Amelie Dimoldenberg’s Chicken Shop Date, and those following in her footsteps. The YouTube sensation has skyrocketed in popularity these past few years and has become a sought-after interviewer for many A-List celebrities. Her channel has over 2.1 million subscribers, her most popular video gaining over 10 million views. Her fresh take on interview style, questions, and casual setting paired with her sarcastic, smooth, and flirtatious personality put her on the map in the big leagues of celebrity interviewing. She expertly toys the line between true flirting and authentic journalistic questions.
It may seem that Dimoldenberg just appeared on the scene with huge A-List interviewees, but her history as a journalist dates back all the way to 2014. Beginning as a column writer for youth magazine The Cut, Dimoldenberg began branching out into grime music and artists after influence from other writers. Setting up these fake date interviews was her journalistic style from the beginning, and she clearly found a successful niche.
Posted nearly nine years ago, her first official Chicken Shop Date featured British rapper Ghetts and has accrued more than 1 million views. Watching back on this first video, it is glaringly obvious how far she has come in both production and confidence, but her unique, dead-pan character still shines through even way back in 2014. Now, 9 years later, Dimoldenberg has truly made it, interviewing big names like Jenifer Lawerence, Cher, The Jonas Brothers, Paul Mescal, Lewis Capaldi, Phoebe Bridgers, and the list goes on.
The setting of each of these iconic interviews, a chicken shop, is a concept very specific to the UK and can be foreign and perplexing to most Americans. While clearly popular for true Londoners, the chicken shop seems like an odd place for a celebrity interview at first glance. These cheap, casual dining spots are a staple of London culture and are a symbol of community. They are a place of authenticity in a world full of gentrified and over-priced cafes. It is not about getting an overpriced, pretentious meal, it’s about joining a community that is safe and familiar.
In an interview with Vice, a London local stated “For people who don’t have safe homes to go home to, Morley’s [a chicken shop] is open until late and it’s the only place outside of the home that black inner city kids can actually chill.”
When digging deeper, it is clear that the chicken shop mirrors the exact genuineness of Dimoldinberg’s interviews and personality. Dimoldenberg states she got the inspiration for this location because it is “somewhere you wouldn’t usually go on a date,” yet however unusual it feels true, real, and unpretentious, further setting her apart from the generic interview. Cut away from the interview is often B-roll footage of the shop, the owners, the food, and the kitchen, another deliberate and smart tactic to make viewers feel immersed in the conversation, and allow them to believe they could be there too.
In the past year or two, Dimoldenberg has wandered away from the chicken shop on occasion and found her way onto the red carpets of the most popular award shows including the Golden Globes, the 2023 and 2024 Oscars, and the Brits. Even outside of her familiar restaurants, her red-carpet interviews carry the same wit and banter as always.
Her magnetic and unpredictable personality often leaves guests both charmed and confused, a unique combination that often makes way for a more authentic and natural conversation style than a generic interview. Her authenticity and believability often leave guests wondering to what level the video was ironic and satirical, and what truly felt like a real date. She creates an infinitely deeper connection between the viewers and featured celebrities. She not only allows for the celebrity’s real personality to shine through, but her relatable personality allows viewers to transplant themselves into the ‘dates,’ feeding the desire discussed earlier.
Amelie Dimoldenberg’s Chicken Shop Date interviews revolutionize celebrity interactions, echoing the age-old craving for a deeper connection with the stars. From her 2014 beginnings to red carpets at prestigious award shows, the unconventional chicken shop setting mirrors the genuine essence she brings to each encounter. While the media landscape evolves, Dimoldenberg’s authenticity remains the cornerstone of her success, bridging the gap between fans and A-list celebrities. In a world of generic interviews, her approach offers a relatable, unique experience that not only satisfies but deepens the desire for a more personal connection with the iconic figures of Hollywood.