The Student News Site of Hazen High School

The Kilt

The Kilt

The Kilt

Does music really help you focus?

Have you ever been sitting in class listening to music, and all of a sudden your teacher calls on you to say “take your headphones off?” Why is this a problem if you weren’t being disruptive? Since there is a disagreement about whether or not you should be able to have your headphones in during class, I am here to help answer the question.

I have listened to music in class since I started middle school. In my experience, I’ve noticed that some teachers tend to view listening to music as something that is disruptive which is understandable. When we are independently working it is hard for me to focus. I have always viewed music as that which helps me focus and something I can use to my advantage, but the more I think about it I wonder… Does music really help you focus? 

According to HSC (Health Services Corporation, which is there to help people understand health issues they may be facing,) listening to music helps your brain release dopamine, which can help you feel more motivated and focused while doing classwork. In addition to helping you focus, music can also help you relax and reduce stress. This can be especially helpful if you’re feeling anxious or overwhelmed. 

Is it possible that music can help reduce anxiety? There is a hormone in your body known as cortisol, and it is a hormone that your adrenal glands produce. Cortisol is on top of each of your kidneys and it produces hormonal signals. Excess cortisol can increase your stress levels which is where music comes into play. When you listen to music it reduces your cortisol production which can help with anxiety because overproduction of cortisol can interfere with your stress and anxiety. 

Listening to music while getting work done can be incredibly helpful especially to people who have ADHD (Attention Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder) because music can minimize distractions by listening to calm songs that have a steady beat. This can be so helpful to people that cannot concentrate. I think that listening to music is a very important thing to let students have in school because it has been proven that music helps students focus and it can help calm nerves and reduce stress.

There are so many different music styles and some can be distracting while others can be helpful and calming. It is so important to find music that is just yours and that helps you. Music has had a big impact on me and my life because it has helped me focus better and be more motivated towards school.